Wednesday, 28 November 2012
Money Making From Home
You can't get published, if you don't submit. You can't submit, if you don't write.
When life doesn't demand quite so much of our attention. When the kids are grown. When we have more time. Some day. But how many of us keep telling ourselves that we're going to write a book one day, silly even, it might sound simple?
" It'll be pure heaven! No more Shakespeare to read. No more exams to study for. "Just imagine coming home from work and being able to do whatever you want. " I said, "Self. I thought it meant I'd have more free time to myself. I couldn't wait to have a real job, earning my English Literature degree, when I was in University. Here's a newsflash: there is no such time.
Those are still not getting done. And let's not even talk about chores. Neglected husband, then I have to come home and spend time with my poor. Having a day job means I spend fifty hours a week at work instead of the fifteen I was spending at school. Ve I was; i now know how naï. I can hear the lot of you with day jobs snickering, at this point.
And the book's getting written one word at a time. At least I try. But that's okay, i'm not proud to admit that I don't meet my goals most days. That way I can challenge myself and not feel like I'm stuck in a repetitive rut, each day's goals are different. I made a list of goals, so. Bottom line: writing wasn't likely to happen unless I made it happen.
Not to submit your story to a publisher, in your mind, these are all very good reasons. Or maybe you're simply afraid of rejection. Maybe you think no one will like it. Maybe you think it's not polished or professional enough. And you don't submit it, but what if you have your novel / novella / short story written?
Too, and that's okay. Subjecting yourself to the inevitable rejections, that means putting yourself out there, yes. Sell it to them, they don't know that you've written the next bestseller unless you show it to them. Publishers aren't mind readers. Ever. You'll never get published, newsflash number two: if you don't submit.
That there are many of us who put ourselves through this every day can encourage even the shyest writer, knowing that you're not alone. What does matter is the support and the friendships you can form. The venue doesn't matter, online or in your home town, join some writing groups.
Get published. Submit. So write.
Can't wait to read your work, for one, i.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment